Thursday, July 24, 2014

Young Writers

 


 I received a message via Facebook this week from a seventeen year old girl asking me about how to get stories published. She loves to write and is considering her major in college based on that. Her message was music to my ears. I can't help it. It's the teacher/mom/ writer in me!

My heart leaps when young people are excited about reading and writing. My experience has allowed me to read the creative works of children. Their imaginations leave me in awe at times. Imagination is the building block needed to develop their writing. Nothing motivates my kids to write more than when I tell them their stories don't have to be real. Their little wheels turn. I like to eavesdrop on their conversations as they bounce ideas off one another.

My FB message this week gave me an idea for this blog. I'd like to post advice and information for young writers beginning today.  I think a good place to start for writers 13 and over is the Young Writers Society. It's an online community for young writers to interact and showcase their writing.

For children under 13, with parental permission, I like Poetry 4 Kids. Kenn Nesbitt is the author of many funny poems that kids love. He has a poetry contest for kids once a month. The winner's work is published on the website.

My advice for writers of all ages is to read and write as much as you can!


No comments:

Post a Comment